Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saemisch Attack Again

Saemisch Attack, Alekhine's Defense
White to play.

I have posted some analysis of a specific line in the Saemisch Attack vs. the Alekhine Defense beginning 1. e4 Nf6 2. e5 Nd5 3. Nc3 Nxc3 4. bxc3 d6 5. f4 dxe5 6. fxe5 Qd5, when White has to watch out for tricky tactics with Bf5 followed by Qe4+ and Qxc2. Recently, a reader sent me a game he played based on my advice in "The Saemisch Surprise," where I suggested sacrificing the c-pawn. I still think that is a viable option, but I now prefer simply 7.Nf3! followed by Be2 and O-O, avoiding the whole discussion. Those interested in learning more about the line should also see "Saemisch Surprise Revisited," where I analyze Smith - Yermolinsky, Washington D.C. 2008.

1 comment:

Robert Pearson said...

Many years ago (13?) Bryan Smith defeated me in the Anchorage-Juneau team match. He was rated in the 1700s as I recall. He has gone on to become the greatest ever Alaskan chess player, I believe. If only I'd had your article at that time!