Wednesday, February 11, 2009

US Amateur Team East 2009

I have not been blogging much, in part because every hour I've devoted to chess lately has been spent preparing for the 2009 US Amateur Teams East this weekend in Parsippany, NJ. I have spent most of my time developing and refining a new opening repertoire, which is my most coherent to date. I am sure I will be filling these pages with my new ideas in the coming weeks, following USATE.

The Kenilworth Chess Club is sending several teams, and most of our members will be there, many playing on one of Mike Wojcio's numerous "Chessaholics" teams. As usual, I will be playing on the Kenilworth Chess Club's A team with FM Steve Stoyko, NM Scott Massey, NM Ed Allen, expert Bob Rose and myself as alternate. Last year we finished 5-1, losing only to the infamous "GGGg" team. This year I am trying to keep my expectations low to avoid a similar disappointment. After all, USATE is a chance to see old friends, browse the book shops, and play some serious chess in this "Tournament for the Rest of Us." Secretly, of course, I'm always in it to win it. Unfortunately, so are a lot of other people...

I expect to post about the event and expect others to as well -- perhaps at our new Kenilworth Kibitzer blog, which already has four registered members and more on the way. But I have not been able to turn up news or links regarding other people's preparations, with one exception: the USCF website promises several "blogs" from the event, and they have already posted Abby Marshall's reflections on getting mentally prepared: "Abby Psychs Up for Amateurs." The rising star felt down after some hard luck at the Liberty Bell Open, but she is ready for the weekend. Her best comment:
"If I had the choice of going 6-0 and my team does not get first or going 0-6 and getting first, I would choose the latter. Definitely. Rating points and pride can be won back; winning at Amateur Teams is priceless."
For more information and links about all four team events, check out Presidents Day Weekend: Four Amateur Team Championships from the US Chess Trust.

4 comments:

Lauri said...

Hello. I really didn't find any other feedback channel. Sorry about offtopic.

Your sidebar links are excellent. I found that some of them are not up to date anymore.

e3e5 new correct link: http://e3e5.com/?lang=1 There's a news item dated 24.11.2007 that "We are awfully sorry to inform you that we have to stop publishing news in English for a period. Try to come and see us after mid-February – we hope we shall be with you again then."

64 Square Jungle (http://chessdad64.journalspace.com/) doesn't seem to exist anymore?

Gens una Sumus (http://www.gensunasumus.com/) doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Thomasollo (http://www.thomasollo.info//linksphp/directory.php/) doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Michael Goeller said...

Thanks for the updates!

Anonymous said...

How about some love for the BUGHOUSE Tournament winners? I personally saw them in action & they absolutely wiped out the opposition. Their team name was Asian Domination (and dominate they did!) Here's the YouTube vid of the Final 2 rounds:

Rd 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEkos9IsI20

Rd 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qfb5cSRGxc

Anonymous said...

hello
i'm lolo of thomasollo.info, i've just changed my server ...sorry see you soon